"[One of] the important things to keep in mind about children's crafts are that... they should be given work well within the ability of their age range so that they are able to do it well and not sloppily."
Charlotte Mason in Modern English Page 316
Here is an amazingly easy and fun art project for you to do with your children. I would think that even very young children, with a little help, would be able to complete this project with amazing results. This is a paper mache project using tissue paper and regular school glue to decorate a vase. A perfect activity for spring, because it will encourage you and your children to cut some spring flowers to decorate your home. I think this would also make a great gift.
You will need:
- School glue
- Recycled plastic container to put glue in (like a yogurt cup)
- Tissue paper (cut into small squares)
- A vase or jar with smooth sides (make sure the outside of it is clean)
1. Squeeze a little bit of the glue into the plastic cup. You won't need a lot and can always add more if you need to.
2. Using the paintbrush brush some glue onto the vase a little larger than the size of your tissue paper squares.
3. Press a tissue paper square onto the vase. Use your paintbrush to brush glue over the top of the tissue paper. 4. Repeat step three adding more squares and brushing glue over the top.
5. Continue until you have covered the whole vase or jar. You may need to cut smaller squares to put along the bottom edge of the vase or near the neck if it curves.
6. I wouldn't recommend putting paper squares on the bottom of the jar or on the inside, as they will probably come off if they get wet.
7. Set your vase aside to dry. Once it is dry (I would leave it overnight) find some spring flowers to put in it.
I would love to see any tissue paper mache vases or jars you and your children make. Feel free to link to your blog in the comments if you do this project or you can email me photos at: (amandachristina [at] yahoo. com) Thanks!
You can also check out these books on Amazon.com for more paper mache projects for kids.