Thursday, September 29, 2011

Advanced Fall Color Activity


"The main use of this study of leaves is to make the children appreciate the beauty of the autumn foliage. This can be done through collections, made by the children themselves of the colored leaves. These may be pressed and mounted. A simple study of the colors may accompany the work by the selection of colored papers to match the leaves. All this color work, however, is but to impress the thought of the rich beauty of the autumn woods." The Southern Education Journal, Study for November. 1899.
With the start of fall I am certainly ready to get out and enjoy the fall color. (I am actually off to New York this week where I am hoping I will see lot of fall color!) I have put together a fun activity for older children to do this fall season.

There are a lot of fall color names that children may not be familiar with. How is burgundy different from scarlet? How is goldenrod different from yellow or gold? This activity may help your children (and you!) appreciate the many different shades of fall.

I have put together a free PDF download, which is basically a grid labeled with 20 fall colors. Using crayons or colored pencils, your child will fill in the squares with the labeled fall color. Then he will take that grid outside and see if he can find all the colors. Sounds like fun, doesn't it?

Here is the link: Advanced Fall Color Activity

What is your favorite fall color?
Let me know in the comments section!


3 comments:

Alison said...

Very nice! I was teasing my daughter about the color aubergine the other day! (Remember some of the clothes catalogs of the 80s and the outlandish color options?) We'll have fun with this when our trees finally change colors. Thanks!

Barb said...

Wonderful way to increase our color vocabulary...thanks so much Amanda.

Kristen said...

Loving this activity and am going to do it tomorrow!

I just thought I'd check in and see if you might be selling a fall kit this year?