Saturday, January 5, 2008

Winter Art Show

"For most of us, art education should consist of awakening the ability to appreciate, rather than the skill to create."
Volume 5 Page 233
Hello and welcome to my winter art show. I would love to share some wintry art with you today. I recommend that you print out your favorite print and hang it up somewhere in your schoolroom, or maybe on your refrigerator. Just put it somewhere you can enjoy it and take a few minutes to look at it every day. I also like to make the piece of art I am studying my desktop background, that way every time I turn on my computer I can take a few seconds to enjoy it. When you look at the art with your children you might want to ask them some of the Looking at Art Questions. Hope you enjoy. Feel free to leave links in the comments to your favorite wintry artwork.

Lawren Harris- First Snow, North Shore of Lake Superior

Childe Hassam- Winter in Union Square


Franz Marc- Dog Lying in the Snow


Claude Monet- The Red Kerchief: Portrait of Camille Monet


Katsushika Hokusai- Thunderstorm at the Foot of the Mountain

Gustave Caillebotte- View of Rooftops (Snow)

Caspar David Friedrich-Cloister Cemetery in the Snow

Caspar David Friedrich- The Sea of Ice

Grandma Moses- The Maple Bush


Grandma Moses- Sugaring Off


Alfred Sisley- Snow at Louveciennes

George Bellows- A Morning Snow- Hudson River


Paul Signac- Snow, Boulevard de Clichy, Paris


Pieter Bruegel- The Hunters in the Snow


Pieter Bruegel- Winter Landscape with a Bird Trap

All the prints, except for the Grandma Moses ones are from artchive. com. That is a great resource for looking at fine art.

And if you haven't seen my winter themed art, handicraft and nature study kit, which includes an art print of Signac's Snow, Boulevard de Clichy, Paris you can check it out here.

6 comments:

Barb said...

Very nice collection of paintings. I love the Claude Monet and the Caspar David Friedrich art.....of course.

Love,
Mom

Sarah said...

What a gorgeous collection of winter paintings...which one to save on my desktop???

Thank you for collecting these in one place!

Leila - mommyof4 said...

Thanks for the lovely post- so nice to see all these wonderful images in one place. I can't wait to show them to the kids!

TeacherBritt said...

Just LOVE your paintings... it's been in the 60's and 70's the last few days here in Texas, so it's nice to see some "Wintery" landscapes! :) Thanks for your post!

Be Blessed,
Brittany

Shannon said...

Thank you for gathering all of this beautiful winter art! My children will really enjoy these.
Blessings,
Shannon

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful winter prints.
I like your kits that you have put together. We are presently exploring Edgar Degas. I put our artist's work on the computer desktop also.

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Keri/