Sunday, January 27, 2008

Bagel Bird Feeder Idea

Photo from About.com
Winter is a great time to observe the birds. If you put out some seed to feed them, they usually come in large numbers. We love looking out our schoolroom window at our "feeding station" and watching all the different birds at the different feeders. Here is a project I remember doing when I was younger: making a bagel bird feeder.

For Two Bagel Bird Feeders You Will Need:
A day old bagel (cut in half)
Lard, peanut butter or honey
Birdseed
String or ribbon

To Make the Bagel Birdfeeder:
1. Spread the lard, peanut butter or honey on the bagel half.
2. Roll the bagel in the birdseed. (Or put both the covered bagel and the birdseed in a large ziplock bag and shake.)
3. Tie the string ribbon through the hole of the bagel.
4. Hang your bagel from a tree somewhere near a window and observe the birds that come to eat.
a
Feel free to email me photos of your completed bagel birdfeeder to share on this blog. We'd love to see birds eating your bagel birdfeeder too. And if you have any more easy birdfeeder ideas, feel free to leave them in the comments.

1 comment:

Alison Kerr said...

I love this idea - I must remember it for anytime I have a stale bagel.

Your homeschooling unit studies look nice. I found your site through The Grass Stain Guru.