Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Tabletop Garden Update #3- Flower Edition

Flowers!!

~Look at my garden now!~
So, my tabletop garden now has flowers! I never expected my vegetables to flower! Here are the photos as proof! The turnip is the only on that is flowering, but the others just keep getting taller and taller. The parsnip is the tallest- now about 10" tall! The yam is the prettiest, with ivy-like leaves. I have been having such a hard time getting photos, that is why it has taken me so long to post this update! I had a little help with the photos from my Mom, who has a super macro setting on her camera.
~The turnip has pretty little yellow flowers.~
~The yam has ivy-like leaves. I love the colors of these leaves and the texture of the yam.~
~Look at the roots in the water. They look like they are dancing.~
You can have plenty of nature to observe indoors, even if it is still too cold to go outside.
If you are interested in starting your own tabletop garden, see my post here, and be sure to check out my free Tabletop Garden Notebooking Page. If you clilck on the label "Nature Study" (at the bottom of this post or in my sidebar) the other tabletop garden updates will come up.
-----------------------
And for everyone who is interested, I will be starting pre-ordering of my spring themed art, nature study and handicraft kit on March 14th, so be sure to check back for more information about that. I am really excited about this kit. I think you all are going to love it!

14 comments:

judahmo said...

Hi Amanda-
I've enjoyed watching your table top garden grow! Maybe next time we go to the store, we'll get some things so we can start our own!
Shannon

Anonymous said...

'Tabletop Garden'...
This is a wonderful idea that I want to get started on pronto!
I remember doing this as a kid.
My kids will enjoy this.
Thank you!

Jennifer Hoots said...

Wow! Those are great photos and wonderful flowers. Who would have thought?
Jenn

Dana Leeds said...

Wow! I think I'd commented when I saw you starting these that I'd like to do it, too. Well, we haven't, but I hope we get started with it now! What a neat experience! Thanks for sharing.

Always Learning said...

I must so do this with my kids, it looks really effective.

Thanks for posting about it :-)

CJ

Anonymous said...

Amanda, I did not realize until today that you were Barb's daughter! I had previously checked out your blog - and was impressed - through another link. Just today when I read her post did I make the connection! :) Anyway, thank you so much for all your wonderful ideas...my daughters and I used your winter nature walk sheet and loved it! Keep up the good work!! I love it!

Candace
www.homeschoolblogger.com/CandaceC

Sebastian said...

What a cool idea. The garden looks so lovely. I have a box of jars slated for Goodwill that may have to sacrifice themselves for science instead.

live4evermom said...

I'm happy to see the progress of your garden. Doing good Amanda. Keep it up.

Tina in WA said...

Your garden looks wonderful. Some day we will have to try this too. Just finding the room to put them all is the problem. :o) LOL

Blessings~Tina

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this idea! We have started one as well. The turnip and rutabaga are already sprouting.

Anonymous said...

What a pretty little garden! I would really like to try this with my kiddos. Thanks for the idea. :)

Anonymous said...

Amanda, just thought I would let you know that we started our tabletop garden over the weekend and I just posted our first entry about it on my blog. Thanks so much for the inspiration! The kids are super excited! :)

Candace
www.homeschoolblogger.com/CandaceC

Anonymous said...

Ok, Amanda, me again! Tired of me yet? LOL!

I was wondering if you thought the veggies needed to have any water sprinkled on the top of these tabletop garden plants? They look so dried out on top...did yours look that way too?

On a good note - the turnip and rutabaga are sprouting and growing!!!

I guess I know they are getting water, but the carrot especially is looking awfully dried out on top??

THANKS!
Candace

Lori said...

love this! :^D)